8 Easy Spanish Verbs with “Yo” You Can Start Using Today
Learning Spanish verbs can feel confusing at first. You see endings changing, new words appearing, and suddenly a simple sentence looks much harder than it really is.
But here’s a great place to start:
YO = I
Once you understand how common Spanish verbs work with yo, you can immediately start making simple sentences about yourself.
And the best part? You don't need to memorize hundreds of sentences. Learn a few useful verbs, notice the pattern, and start using them.
Let’s make it easy. 👇
🇪🇸 First: What Does “Yo” Mean?
Yo means “I” in Spanish.
For example:
- Yo bebo. → I drink- BEH-boh
- Yo cocino. → I cook- koh-SEE-noh
- Yo salto. → I jump - SAHL-toh
- Yo dibujo. → I draw- dee-BOO-hoh
In everyday Spanish, you will often see the subject pronoun yo left out because the verb form already tells us who is doing the action.
So:
Yo cocino. = I cook.
Cocino. = I cook.
🔥 8 Useful Spanish Verbs with “Yo”
Here are eight simple verbs you can start using right away.
| Infinitive | Yo form | English |
|---|---|---|
| beber | bebo | I drink |
| cocinar | cocino | I cook |
| saltar | salto | I jump |
| dibujar | dibujo | I draw |
| nadar | nado | I swim |
| comer | como | I eat |
| pintar | pinto | I paint |
| dormir | duermo | I sleep |
Now let's see them in real sentences.
🥤 1. Beber → Bebo
Beber means “to drink.”
With yo, it becomes:
👉 Bebo = I drink (BEH-boh)
Example:
Bebo agua todos los días.
= I drink water every day.
You can also say:
Bebo café por la mañana.
= I drink coffee in the morning.
💡 Quick tip:
The infinitive is beber, but when you're talking about yourself, you use bebo.
🍳 2. Cocinar → Cocino (koh-SEE-noh)
Cocinar means “to cook.”
With yo:
👉 Cocino = I cook
Example:
Cocino en casa.
Or:
Yo cocino pasta.
Notice something?
Cocinar → cocino
🦘 3. Saltar → Salto (SAHL-toh)
Saltar means “to jump.”
With yo:
👉 Salto = I jump
Example:
Salto mucho.
= I jump a lot.
It's a simple verb, but it's also a useful one for recognizing the -ar → -o pattern.
✏️ 4. Dibujar → Dibujo (dee-BOO-hoh)
Dibujar means “to draw.”
With yo:
👉 Dibujo = I draw
Example:
Dibujo una casa.
= I draw a house.
Want to make the sentence more interesting?
Dibujo una casa pequeña.
= I draw a small house.
You can build longer Spanish sentences simply by adding more information.
🏊 5. Nadar → Nado (NAH-doh)
Nadar means “to swim.”
With yo:
👉 Nado = I swim
Example:
Nado los domingos.
= I swim on Sundays.
Or:
Nado en la piscina.
= I swim in the pool.
Now you're already creating complete Spanish sentences using just one pronoun and one verb form.
🍎 6. Comer → Como (KOH-moh)
Here's an interesting one.
Comer means “to eat.”
With yo:
👉 Como = I eat
Example:
Como una manzana.
= I eat an apple.
Notice una manzana?
If Spanish articles like un, una, unos, unas still confuse you, check out our complete guide:
👉 [Spanish Indefinite Articles: The Ultimate Cheat Sheet!]
It will help you understand why we say una manzana here.
🎨 7. Pintar → Pinto (PEEN-toh)
Pintar means “to paint.”
With yo:
👉 Pinto = I paint
Example:
Pinto un cuadro.
= I paint a picture.
Or:
Pinto en mi habitación.
= I paint in my room.
Again, you can see the same basic change:
pintar → pinto
😴 8. Dormir → Duermo (DWEHR-moh)
Now we have an important one.
Dormir means “to sleep.”
With yo:
👉 Duermo = I sleep
Example:
Duermo ocho horas.
= I sleep eight hours.
But wait… 👀
Dormir → duermo
This one doesn't look exactly like:
cocinar → cocino
pintar → pinto
That's because dormir is a stem-changing verb. The vowel changes in the stem when conjugated.
So don't worry if duermo looks different. It's a verb you'll simply become familiar with through practice.
If you're interested in expressions about being sleepy, check out:
👉 [How to Say “Tengo Sueño” in Spanish: Meaning, Pronunciation & Quiz]
🧠 Did You Notice the Pattern?
Look back at the verbs:
beber → bebo
cocinar → cocino
saltar → salto
dibujar → dibujo
nadar → nado
comer → como
pintar → pinto
A very useful pattern appears.
For many regular Spanish verbs, the yo form ends in -o.
For example:
cocinar → cocino
nadar → nado
comer → como
This is one of the first patterns worth remembering when you're beginning Spanish.
⚠️ But remember: not every Spanish verb follows this pattern perfectly.
Dormir → duermo is a good example of why you should learn verbs through both patterns and real examples.
🎯 Quick “YO” Challenge
Let's see how well you've understood it.
Complete each sentence with the correct yo form.
1. Yo ______ agua.
beber
2. Yo ______ pasta.
cocinar
3. Yo ______ una casa.
dibujar
4. Yo ______ en la piscina.
nadar
5. Yo ______ una manzana.
comer
6. Yo ______ ocho horas.
dormir
Answers
Don't peek too quickly! 👀
1. bebo
2. cocino
3. dibujo
4. nado
5. como
6. duermo
How many did you get right?
6/6? ¡Excelente! 🎉
4–5? ¡Muy bien! 👏
2–3? No problem—practice makes progress! 💪
💬 Can You Make Your Own Spanish Sentence?
Now it's your turn.
Choose one of these verbs:
bebo • cocino • salto • dibujo • nado • como • pinto • duermo
Then create a sentence about yourself.
For example:
Yo cocino en casa.
“I cook at home.”
Or:
Yo nado los domingos.
“I swim on Sundays.”
Or simply:
Yo dibujo.
“I draw.”
The goal isn't to create a complicated sentence.
The goal is to use the Spanish you already know.
👀 What About the Other Spanish Pronouns?
So far, we've focused on just one pronoun:
Yo = I
But Spanish has other pronouns too, such as:
- Tú = you
- Él = he
- Ella = she
- Nosotros/Nosotras = we
- Vosotros/Vosotras = you all (mainly used in Spain)
- Ellos/Ellas = they
- Usted/Ustedes = formal you / formal you all
And here's where things get really interesting:
Spanish verbs change depending on the pronoun.
For example, the verb comer doesn't always stay como. Its form changes when the subject changes.
🚀 Your Spanish Mini Mission
Before you leave, try this:
Say three sentences about yourself in Spanish using the verbs from this lesson.
For example:
Bebo agua.
Como una manzana.
Duermo ocho horas.
That's it.
Three small sentences are already a real step toward speaking Spanish.
And remember:
Yo = I
Once yo + verb starts feeling natural, you're ready to explore what happens when the pronoun changes.
¡Sigue practicando! 🇪🇸✨
Comments
Post a Comment