Connaître vs Savoir: Why “Je sais Paris” Is Wrong

Can you spot the mistake before reading the rule?

❌ Je sais Paris.
✅ Je connais Paris.

If you chose Je connais Paris, you're already on the right track.

But why is savoir wrong here?

This is one of the most common problems for French learners because English uses just one verb — “to know.”

In French, however, you normally need to choose between two different verbs:

connaître and savoir.

🧠 Quick Quiz: Connaître or Savoir?

Before reading the explanation, test yourself.

Don't worry if you're not sure. Just choose the answer that feels correct.

1. “I know Marie.”

A. Je sais Marie.
B. Je connais Marie.

2. “I know the answer.”

A. Je sais la réponse.
B. Je connais la réponse.

3. “I know Paris.”

A. Je sais Paris.
B. Je connais Paris.

4. “I know how to swim.”

A. Je connais nager.
B. Je sais nager.

5. “I know this restaurant.”

A. Je connais ce restaurant.
B. Je sais ce restaurant.

Take a few seconds and make your choices.

Ready?

Answers

1 → B: Je connais Marie.

2 → A: Je sais la réponse.

3 → B: Je connais Paris.

4 → B: Je sais nager.

5 → A: Je connais ce restaurant.

If you got a few wrong, that's completely normal. The English word “know” makes this distinction especially confusing.

Let's make it simple.


The Simple Difference Between Connaître and Savoir

Here's the basic idea you should remember:

CONNAÎTRE = to know / be familiar with a person, place, or thing

Use connaître when you are talking about familiarity.

Think:

People → Places → Things you are familiar with

For example:

Je connais Marie.
I know Marie.

Je connais Paris.
I know Paris.

Je connais ce restaurant.
I know this restaurant.


SAVOIR = to know information, a fact, or how to do something

Use savoir when you are talking about information, facts, answers, or knowing how to perform an action.

Think:

Facts → Information → Answers → Know how to

For example:

Je sais la réponse.
I know the answer.

Je sais la vérité.
I know the truth.

Je sais que tu es ici.
I know that you are here.

Je sais nager.
I know how to swim.

That's the basic distinction.

Now let's look at each one more carefully.


1. When Do You Use “Connaître”?

Use connaître when you are familiar with a person, place, or thing.

A useful way to think about it is:

“I know it because I am familiar with it.”

👤 Knowing a Person

When you know a person, use connaître.

Je connais Marie.
I know Marie.

Tu connais Paul ?
Do you know Paul?

Nous connaissons cette personne.
We know this person.

Notice something important.

You are not talking about information about Marie.

You are saying that you know Marie as a person.

So:

❌ Je sais Marie.

✅ Je connais Marie.


2. Use Connaître for Places

This is where many learners make the famous mistake:

❌ Je sais Paris.

The correct sentence is:

✅ Je connais Paris.

Why?

Because here you're talking about being familiar with the city.

For example:

Je connais Paris.
I know Paris. / I am familiar with Paris.

Elle connaît Londres.
She knows London. / She is familiar with London.

Nous connaissons cette ville.
We know this city.

You can use connaître with cities, countries, neighborhoods, and other places when the meaning is familiarity.


Why “Je sais Paris” Doesn't Work

Let's slow down and look at the original example.

❌ Je sais Paris.

An English speaker may think:

“I know Paris → I know = savoir → Je sais Paris.”

It seems logical if you translate word-for-word.

But French doesn't work that way.

In Je connais Paris, you're saying:

“I am familiar with Paris.”

Maybe you've visited Paris.

Maybe you've lived there.

Maybe you know the city well.

The important idea is familiarity.

Now compare it with:

Je sais que Paris est en France.

This means:

“I know that Paris is in France.”

Here you're talking about information or a fact, so savoir is used.

This is the key distinction.


3. When Do You Use “Savoir”?

Use savoir when you're talking about information, knowledge of a fact, an answer, or knowing how to do something.

For example:

Je sais la réponse.
I know the answer.

Je sais son nom.
I know his/her name.

Je sais la vérité.
I know the truth.

Nous savons l'heure.
We know the time.

In each case, you're talking about information.

You aren't saying that you're familiar with a person or place.


💡 A Simple Question to Ask Yourself

When you're unsure whether to use connaître or savoir, ask yourself:

“Am I talking about familiarity or information?”

If it's familiarity, think:

👉 CONNAÎTRE

If it's information, a fact, an answer, or knowing how to do something, think:

👉 SAVOIR

This little question can save you from a lot of mistakes.


4. Savoir + Infinitive = “Know How To…”

There is another extremely important use of savoir.

When you want to say that someone knows how to do something, use:

savoir + infinitive

For example:

Je sais nager.
I know how to swim.

Elle sait cuisiner.
She knows how to cook.

Il sait conduire.
He knows how to drive.

Nous savons danser.
We know how to dance.

Tu sais parler français.
You know how to speak French.

This is a very useful pattern to remember.

So don't say:

❌ Je connais nager.

Say:

✅ Je sais nager.


5. Savoir + “Que”

You will also frequently see savoir followed by que.

Use this structure when someone knows that something is true.

savoir + que + sentence

For example:

Je sais que tu es français.
I know that you are French.

Elle sait que nous sommes ici.
She knows that we are here.

Nous savons qu'il est à Paris.
We know that he is in Paris.

Ils savent que le restaurant est fermé.
They know that the restaurant is closed.

Here, you're dealing with information or a fact, so savoir is the natural choice.


⭐ One Example That Explains Everything

Here's one sentence worth remembering:

Je connais Paris, mais je sais que Paris est en France.

Let's break it down.

Je connais Paris.

→ I am familiar with Paris.

Je sais que Paris est en France.

→ I know the fact that Paris is in France.

Same subject.

Same English word “know.”

But two different French verbs.

That's the difference between connaître and savoir.


⚠️ Common Mistakes to Avoid

Because English uses “know” for many different situations, beginners often use savoir too much.

Here are some common mistakes.

❌ Je sais Marie.

✅ Je connais Marie.

You know a person → connaître


❌ Je sais Paris.

✅ Je connais Paris.

You are familiar with a place → connaître


❌ Je connais la réponse.

✅ Je sais la réponse.

You know information/an answer → savoir


❌ Je connais nager.

✅ Je sais nager.

You know how to do something → savoir


🧠 The Easiest Memory Trick

If you don't want to memorize a complicated grammar explanation, remember these two groups.

CONNAÎTRE

Think:

👤 People

📍 Places

📖 Things you're familiar with

Examples:

Je connais Marie.

Je connais Paris.

Je connais ce livre.

Je connais ce restaurant.


SAVOIR

Think:

💡 Facts

❓ Answers

📚 Information

🛠️ Knowing how to do something

Examples:

Je sais la réponse.

Je sais la vérité.

Je sais que tu es ici.

Je sais nager.


🎯 Test Yourself Again

Now that you've seen the rule, try these without looking back.

Complete each sentence with the correct form of connaître or savoir.

1. Je ______ cette femme.

2. Je ______ la réponse.

3. Nous ______ Paris.

4. Elle ______ jouer du piano.

5. Tu ______ mon frère ?

6. Ils ______ que nous sommes ici.

7. Vous ______ ce restaurant ?

8. Je ______ parler espagnol.

Pause here.

Try to answer all eight before checking below.


Answers

1. Je connais cette femme.

You're talking about a person → connaître

2. Je sais la réponse.

You're talking about information → savoir

3. Nous connaissons Paris.

You're familiar with a place → connaître

4. Elle sait jouer du piano.

She knows how to do something → savoir

5. Tu connais mon frère ?

You're talking about a person → connaître

6. Ils savent que nous sommes ici.

They're aware of a fact → savoir

7. Vous connaissez ce restaurant ?

You're familiar with the restaurant → connaître

8. Je sais parler espagnol.

You know how to speak Spanish → savoir


What About Books, Restaurants, Songs, and Other Things?

You can also use connaître for things you're familiar with.

For example:

Je connais ce livre.
I know this book. / I'm familiar with this book.

Elle connaît cette chanson.
She knows this song.

Nous connaissons ce restaurant.
We know this restaurant.

The idea is still the same:

You're talking about familiarity, not simply knowing a piece of information.

Compare:

Je connais ce restaurant.

→ I'm familiar with this restaurant.

But:

Je sais que ce restaurant est fermé.

→ I know that this restaurant is closed.

Again, the distinction is familiarity versus information.


🔥 A Quick “Don't Translate Word-for-Word” Rule

One of the biggest lessons here is this:

Don't automatically translate every English “know” as “savoir.”

English:

I know Marie.

French:

Je connais Marie.

English:

I know Paris.

French:

Je connais Paris.

English:

I know the answer.

French:

Je sais la réponse.

English:

I know how to swim.

French:

Je sais nager.

The English verb stays the same.

The French verb changes depending on the meaning.


📝 Mini Challenge

Let's finish with three sentences.

Don't look at the answers immediately.

A.

“I know your sister.”

Je ______ ta sœur.

B.

“I know his name.”

Je ______ son nom.

C.

“I know how to swim.”

Je ______ nager.

Think carefully.

The answers are:

A. Je connais ta sœur.

Person → connaître

B. Je sais son nom.

Information → savoir

C. Je sais nager.

Knowing how to do something → savoir

If you got all three, you've understood the main rule.


 Want to Ask Better Questions in French?

Now that you know the difference between connaître and savoir, there's another group of French words you'll use constantly in real conversations: question words.

Words such as:

qui — who
que / quoi — what
où — where
quand — when
pourquoi — why
comment — how
combien — how much / how many

If you're building your French vocabulary step by step, continue here:

👉 French Question Words: 7 Essential Words You Need to Know

Read the full guide → French Question Words: 7 Essential Words You Need to Know

This is a natural next step because knowing the right question words makes it much easier to turn your vocabulary into actual French questions.


🎯 Final Challenge

Before you leave, try translating this sentence without looking back:

“I know Sarah, I know Paris, and I know how to speak French.”

Think about each part separately.

Sarah → person

Paris → place

speak French → knowing how to do something

Answer:

Je connais Sarah, je connais Paris et je sais parler français.

Notice how both verbs appear in the same sentence.

Je connais Sarah → person

Je connais Paris → place

Je sais parler français → know how to do something

That's the pattern you want to remember.


Quick Recap

If you remember only one thing from this article, remember this:

CONNAÎTRE = familiarity

Use it for people, places, and things you're familiar with.

Je connais Marie.

Je connais Paris.

Je connais ce restaurant.


SAVOIR = information / facts / knowing how

Use it for facts, information, answers, and knowing how to do something.

Je sais la réponse.

Je sais que tu es ici.

Je sais nager.


And that is why:

❌ Je sais Paris.

is not the sentence you normally want.

Instead:

✅ Je connais Paris.

Because you are talking about being familiar with the city.

The next time you see connaître and savoir, don't ask yourself:

“Which French word means know?”

Ask:

“Am I talking about familiarity or information?”

That small change in thinking will make choosing the correct verb much easier.


 One Last Test Before You Go

“I know this city, but I know that it is expensive.”

Can you choose the correct verbs?

Je ______ cette ville, mais je ______ qu'elle est chère.

Answer:

Je connais cette ville, mais je sais qu'elle est chère.

Connaître → familiarity.

Savoir → information.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 French Verbs Every Beginner Must Know + Easy Examples & Audio

Por vs. Para: Can You Get All of them Right?

Spanish Warning: Be Careful With “Coger” in Latin America!